Register online for non-proctored virtual exams now, and complete any time before September 15, 2020. If you need to contact Customer Success, please be patient as we are experiencing high call volume.
Virtual Exams Extended Through September 2020
With many testing centers closed or limiting hours, The Institutes is offering non-proctored, virtual exams through September 15, 2020. Virtual exams offer a convenient, appointment-free and safe way to stay on track with your education.
How to Register
- Go to the designation page, select your course, scroll down then select Purchase Course Exam.
- Select your exam window and choose VIRTUAL for the testing location.
- Choose July 15 - September 15, 2020 to test in the third exam window.
- Once you are registered, your exam will appear in your account under My Courses.
- Your exam will be available July 15, 2020. You can complete your exam any time, day or night, from July 15 until the testing window closes at 11:59 p.m. eastern time on September 15, 2020.
- You will have one attempt to complete your virtual exam.
- If you do not complete by the deadline, the virtual exam will be removed from your account, and you will need to register again for a later testing window.
- Students who previously registered for an in-person exam have received details about the exam options available to them.
- If you did not pass a virtual exam in the second window, you may register for a virtual exam retake in the third window.
How to Prepare
Prepare for your exam in the same way you would prepare for any Institutes exam, reviewing course materials and completing practice tests. The SMART study app is also helpful, and you can find study tips and community support on The Institutes Chat Facebook Group.
- Virtual exams consist of application-based questions, which means you will need to apply your knowledge of the course material to a real-life scenario and answer a question. If you have taken an Institutes' exam before, the virtual exam questions will be similar to the Part B section of the proctored exams.
- Before you test, find a quiet testing space free of distraction, with little chance of interruption
- Make sure you have an Internet-connected device with Internet Explorer 11 or higher, Chrome, or Firefox.
How to Complete the Exam
- Log in to your Institutes account, click on My Courses, and find your exam.
- Complete the Exam Administration Affidavit and Agreement, agreeing to The Institutes’ Code of Academic and Professional Integrity.
- You will have 65 minutes to complete 50 application-based multiple-choice questions.
- The timer starts when you click Start Attempt, and it cannot be paused. You will have one attempt to complete the exam.
- You will be notified of pass/non-pass status immediately upon completing the exam. As always, 70% or above is a passing score.
- Your student record will update within 48 hours.
- If you do not pass the virtual exam and want to test again in the same testing window, you will need to retake your exam at an in-person testing center.
Virtual Exam Demonstration
Learn more about the virtual exam format and experience.
CE Credits and Virtual Exams
Many states are currently waiving proctor requirements for exams. This means that non-proctored virtual exams should count for CE credit. Some states are not waiving proctor requirements, which means students must still complete exams in person.
Because states are adjusting CE rules as the COVID-19 situation evolves, you should confirm CE rules with your state before completing the non-proctored virtual exam.
In-Person Exam Options
- You can still complete your exam at a testing center if you have validated that the testing center is open and testing slots are available.
- Many Prometric testing sites in the United States and Canada remain closed. Before any scheduled test, you will need to call and confirm with Prometric that your site is open. Site dates and hours may change, and many sites are limiting appointments to comply with social distancing guidelines.
- The availability of on-site testing centers offered by employers varies; please check with your employer for details.
- If you were transferred to a virtual exam but you would like to complete your exam at a physical testing center, please call our Customer Success team at (800) 644-2101* immediately.
Exam Transfer Fees
Exam transfer fees are waived for any exam transferred from the second to the third-quarter testing window.
Still Have Questions?
Feel free to give Customer Success a call at (800) 644-2101 if you have additional questions. Our virtual exam option is resulting in high call volume, so we appreciate your patience.