Register online for virtual exams, available through March 15, 2021!
Virtual Exams Extended to March 2021
The Institutes is offering virtual exams through March 15, 2021. Virtual exams are a convenient, appointment-free and safe way to stay on track with your education.
How to Register
- Go to your designation page, select your course, scroll down, then select PURCHASE COURSE EXAM.
- Select your exam window and choose VIRTUAL for the testing location.
- Once you are registered, your exam will appear in your account under My Courses but will not be accessible until the exam window opens.
- You can complete your exam from the first day of the testing window until 11:59 p.m. ET on the final day of the testing window.
- If you do not complete by the deadline, the virtual exam will be removed from your account. You will need to register and pay for another exam in a later testing window.
- NOTE: If you require CE credit, contact Customer Success at 800-644-2101 to register. Our team has up-to-date details on CE availability based on your state’s proctor requirements.
How to Prepare
- Prepare for your exam as you would prepare for any Institutes exam, by reviewing course materials and completing practice tests. The SMART study app is also helpful, and you can find study tips and community support on The Institutes Chat Facebook Group.
- Virtual exams consist of application-based questions, which means you will need to apply your knowledge of the course material to a real-life scenario and answer a question. If you have taken an Institutes' exam before, the virtual exam questions are similar to the Part B section of in-person exams.
- Before you test, find a quiet testing space free of distraction, with little chance of interruption.
- Make sure you have an Internet-connected device with Chrome, Internet Explorer 11 or higher, or Firefox.
How to Complete a Virtual Exam
- Log in to your Institutes account, click on My Courses, and find your exam.
- Complete the Exam Administration Affidavit and Agreement, agreeing to The Institutes’ Code of Academic and Professional Integrity.
- You will have 65 minutes to complete 50 application-based multiple-choice questions.
- The timer starts when you click Start Attempt, and it cannot be paused. You will have one attempt to complete the exam.
- You will be notified of pass/non-pass status immediately upon completing the exam. As always, 70% or above is a passing score.
- Your student record will update within 48 hours.
- If you do not pass the virtual exam and want to test again in the same testing window, you will need to retake your exam at an in-person testing center. You may register for a virtual exam retake in the next window.
Virtual Exam Demonstration
Learn more about the virtual exam format and experience.
CE Credits and Virtual Exams
Many states are currently waiving proctor requirements for exams. This means that virtual exams should count for CE credit. Some states are not waiving proctor requirements, which means students must still complete exams in person to get CE credit.
Because states are adjusting rules as the COVID-19 situation evolves, you should confirm CE availablity with Customer Success or your state before registering for a virtual exam.
In-Person Exam Options
You can still complete your exam in person if the testing center is open and testing slots are available.
- Many Prometric testing sites remain closed. Before any scheduled test, you will need to call and confirm with Prometric that your site is open. Site dates and hours may change, and many sites are limiting appointments to comply with social distancing guidelines.
- The availability of on-site testing centers offered by employers varies; please check with your employer for details.