Register online for non-proctored virtual exams now, and complete any time before June 30! If you need to contact Customer Success, please be patient as we are experiencing high call volume.
Virtual Exams Now Available!
With many testing centers closed, The Institutes are offering non-proctored virtual exams from May 4 to June 30, 2020. Virtual exams offer the convenience and flexibility you need while maintaining the rigor and integrity you expect. Here’s what you need to know.
How to Register
- Go to your designation page, select your course, then select Purchase Course Exam.
- Select the April 15 to June 30, 2020, exam window, and choose VIRTUAL for your testing location.
- Once you are registered, your exam will appear in your account under My Courses.
- You can complete your exam any time, day or night, until the testing window closes at 11:59 p.m. eastern time on June 30, 2020. You will have one attempt to complete your exam.
- If you do not complete by the June 30, 2020, deadline, the exam will be removed from your account, and you will need to register for an in-person testing location if you still wish to take the exam.
- Students previously registered for an in-person exam have received details about the virtual exam and other options available to them.
How to Prepare
Prepare for your exam in the same way you would prepare for any Institutes exam, reviewing course materials and completing practice tests. The SMART study app is also helpful, and you can find study tips and community support on The Institutes Chat Facebook Group.
- Virtual exams consist of application-based questions, which means you will need to apply your knowledge of the course material to a real-life scenario and answer a question. If you have taken an Institutes' exam before, the virtual exam questions will be similar to the Part B section of the proctored exams.
- Before you test, find a quiet testing space free of distraction, with little chance of interruption
- Make sure you have an Internet-connected device with Internet Explorer 11 or higher, Chrome, or Firefox.
How to Complete the Exam
- Log in to your Institutes account, click on My Courses, and find your exam.
- Complete the Exam Administration Affidavit and Agreement, agreeing to The Institutes’ Code of Academic and Professional Integrity.
- You will have 65 minutes to complete 50 application-based multiple-choice questions.
- The timer starts when you click Start Attempt, and it cannot be paused. You will have one attempt to complete the exam.
- You will be notified of pass/non-pass status immediately upon completing the exam. As always, 70% or above is a passing score.
- Your student record will update within 48 hours.
- If you do not pass the virtual exam, you will need to retake your exam at an in-person testing center.
Virtual Exam Demonstration
Learn more about the virtual exam format and experience.
CE Credits and Virtual Exams
Many states are currently waiving proctor requirements for exams. This means that non-proctored virtual exams should count for CE credit. Some states are not waiving proctor requirements, which means students must still complete their exams in person.
Because states are adjusting CE rules as the COVID-19 situation evolves, you should confirm CE rules with your state before completing the non-proctored virtual exam.
In-Person Exam Options
- You can still complete your exam at a testing center later in the second window if you have validated that the testing center is open and testing slots are available.
- The Institutes have extended the testing window until June 30, 2020, to offer additional flexibility.
- Most Prometric testing sites in the United States and Canada remain closed. Before any scheduled test, you will need to call and confirm with Prometric that your site is open. Site dates and hours may change, and many sites are limiting appointments to comply with social distancing guidelines.
- The availability of on-site testing centers offered by employers varies; please check with your employer for details.
- If you were transferred to a virtual exam but you would like to complete your exam at a physical testing center, please call our Customer Success team at (800) 644-2101* immediately.
Exam Transfer Fees
Exam transfer fees are waived for transferring any exam from the second- to the third-quarter testing window.
Extended Second-Quarter Testing Window
The second-quarter exam testing window is extended to June 30.
Stay Up to Date
As events continue to be influenced by COVID-19, The Institutes will provide updates on new, flexible ways to support you on your learning journey.
Feel free to give Customer Success a call at (800) 644-2101 if you have additional questions. Our virtual exam option is resulting in high call volume, so we appreciate your patience.